Welcome to the Summer Term Year Two!
Let's take a closer look at our Learning Journey this week . . . .
We will be linking our learning with The Enchanted Wood.
Week beginning 16th April 2018
As Readers we will:-
- Read and discuss a variety of books about Night Time and Nocturnal Animals.
- Answer questions about the texts to show our understanding - Copy Cat, Text Detective and Judge and Jury. Be Resilient Readers!
- Practise our inference and deduction skills. I think that .... because / I know that ... because - using evidence from texts and images to back up our reasons.
- Enjoy reading to an adult.
- Participate in Guided Reading activities.
- Tap and clap our challenge vocabulary.
As Writers we will:-
- Continue to use the Legends of Literacy to help us improve our writing. We are GREAT at GRAMMAR!
- Look closely at an image of The Enchanted Wood and collect NOUNS, VERBS, ADJECTIVES, ADVERBS and OPENERS.
- Use oiur wonderful word banks to create a POWERgraph to describe The Enchanted Wood.
- Use our 'better blue' pens to edit and improve our work.
- Continue to practise our Common Exception Words and become Super Spellers!
- Continue to practise our new cursive, joined font.
As Mathematicians we will:
- Continue to practise counting in 2s, 3s, 5s, 10s and continue to learn to count in 4s, 6s, 7s and 8s.
- Solve a variety of word and number problems using a range of calculation ksills.
- Read, write and recongsie 2d numbers.
- Partition 2d numbers into tens and ones.
- Represent 2d numbers in a variety of ways.
- Continue to practise our BMBT and CLIC scores.
As Scientists we will:-
- Start our exciting new topic 'Living Things and their Habitats'
- Tap and clap Scientific vocabulary linked to our theme.
- Ask- What do we already know about Living Things and their Habitats'?
- Record our knowledge using labelled diagrams and sentences.
- Ask - What do we want to discover about Living Things and their Habitats?
As Artists we will:-
- Use our drawing skills to create new front covers for our topic folders.
- Study woodland animals and features and represent these with pens and crayons.
- Draw carefully. Colour neatly. Add labels.
In PE we will:-
- Work with the fantastic Mr Jay from Premier Sports.
- Begin to practise the key skills needed for our Sports Day later this term.
- Take part in a variety of team games.
- Take our learning outside!
In RE we will:-
- Consider who we TRUST and why.
- Identify key characteristics of people that we trust.
- Create a simple colour-coded mind-map to represent our learning.
DON'T FORGET TO COMPLETE THE READING CHALLENGE EVERY WEEK - A KS1 CLASS STILL HASN'T TOPPED THE LEADER BOARD. WELL DONE TO THE 90% OF CHILDREN IN CLASS 2R WHO COMPLETED THE READING CHALLENGE. WHAT AN OUTSTANDING RESULT!!! MRS LEE WAS DELIGHTED. WELL DONE TO THE 50% OF CLASS 2A - COME ON EVERYONE! LET'S DO MORE READING!
WE HOPE YOU'LL ENJOY DISCUSSING ALL THESE NEW ACTIVITIES WITH YOUR CHILDREN.
WE HAVE LOVED OUR SPRING TERM IN YEAR TWO!
YOU ARE AMAZING!!
We will be organising sessions throughout the year when you can come and share your child's learning journey.
Watch this space, and check Newsletters for more information to follow!!
Don't forget to keep using the 'sentence stems', when sharing books with your children.
It's a great way to extend your child's thinking, while also developing their reading and comprehension skills.
Click on the link below for a copy of our 'sentence stems'! Happy reading!!!
Don't forget to read for 5 minutes, 5 times a week!
Your Reading Challenge Slip must be returned on MONDAY MORNING so the 'scores on the doors' can be collated!
Come on Year 2 ! A KS1 class has never topped the leaderboard!
We need 75% of our classes to read to meet Mrs Ashford's challenge.
Class Prizes available too!
Let's all try and improve our 'scores on the doors' each week.
We challenge Year Two to top the chart next week!
We will be following the Inspire Maths Scheme. We will be looking at coordinates on London maps, and creating our own maps with coordinates. We will be looking at direction and movement, and using a Roamer to plan a route around London. We will be investigating capacity and measuring using different materials. We will also be measuring distance. We will be looking at time; creating bus and train timetables using o’clock, half past, quarter to and quarter past. As part of our ‘Big Maths’ scheme, children will also be taking part in ‘Beat That!’ tests every week to consolidate their Learn-It knowledge. As well as this we will continue to work on our addition and subtraction skills, and begin to look at some of the times tables as well.
Do you know your Learn Its - click below to find out!
We will continue to follow our Inspire Maths Scheme and working on calculations including multiplying and dividing. We will also be working with coordinates on a map, exploring measuring using different types of equipment, using 3D shapes for castle modelling and looking at the different types of shapes we find in castles. We will also be learning jigsaw numbers on shields and data-handling as well.
Please help your child to continue to learn the addition and subtraction ‘Learn-Its’ for this term and their Times Tables. Don't forget to keep practising the number facts in your child's Number Pouch too!
We will continue to follow the Inspire Maths Scheme, looking at addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in real life scenarios and representing work with pictures, numbers and symbols. We will investigate data-handling, collect data and record it in simple lists, pictograms, graphs and charts. We will investigate 2d and 3d shapes and their properties. We will also look at time - days of the week, and months of the years. Please help your child to continue to learn the addition and subtraction ‘Learn-Its’ for this term. Keep practising your Number Pouches too!
Do you know your Term 3 Learn Its?
Click on the link below to find out!
Want to practise the Big Maths, Beat That Tests? Why not click below?
Want to beat your CLIC score? Click below for CLIC tests!
Lots of Maths games to make learning fun! Click on the websites below!
Autumn Term Topic - London Calling!
What will we be learning? Click below to find out!
Spring Term Topic - Medieval Mayhem!
Click on the link below to find out what we will be learning!
Become a 'Castle Expert' - try the link below!
Summer Term - The Enchanted Wood
Click below to find out more!
Why not visit the website below. Lots of exciting cross-curricular challenges!
Thank you for bringing your Brilliant Beginning Projects into school on Monday 16th April!
We were so impressed with all your learning. Our new Working Walls are taking shape! It's going to be another amazing term in Year Two!
You all looked amazing on Monday 26th March. We really enjoyed our 'Legends of Literacy Day'. MC Grammar visited Trimley St Mary School! He performed a concert, sang his very own songs, and carried out workshops with every year group! Grammar-tastic!!! Check out Trimley St Mary School on his Twitter account!
Wednesday 28th March - Year 2 Fabulous Finisher!
We were delighted with the success of our Fabulous Finisher! The children performed their Medieval Dances wonderfully and all looked fantastic in their special clothes. It was great to see so many of you join us to celebrate all their success and achievements. You must be so proud of your children. Thank you for your continued support - we couldn't do it without you!
Thank you so much to all of you, who came along to our "Legends of Literacy Learning Together" on Friday 19th January. It was wonderful to see so many of you, supporting your child with their learning and enjoying all the different activities together. Remember - we are GREAT at GRAMMAR!
Thank you for bringing your Brilliant Beginning Projects into school on Thursday 4th January! We were so impressed with all your learning. Our new Working Walls are taking shape!
Year 2 - Fabulous Finisher - Friday 15th December
Thank you to all of you who came along to celebrate all your child's wonderful achievements throughout the term. We hope you enjoyed sharing your child's work and taking a closer look at all the fantastic displays in the classroom and activity area. We can't wait to show you how hard your child has worked this term!
Great Fire of London Day - Thursday 23rd November
What a great success this was! We had a wonderful day and thoroughly enjoyed 'travelling back in time' to 1666. The children enjoyed participating in drama and role play activities, freeze-framing key events from the recount, baking in Thomas Farynor's Bakery, being 'eye-witnesses', using images as sources of evidence to learn about the past, and making a paper bag and label for their bread roll. Amazing work Year Two! We are all great Historians now!
Many thanks for your continued support. Mrs Lee, Miss Howe and Mrs Allen
Year Two - Learning Together - We love Spellings!
Thank you for coming along to our Spelling Learning Together on Friday 13th October. It was great to see so many of you supporting your children and practising all the different ways that you can help your child to practise the 'common exception words' at home.
We hope you enjoy trying out all the exciting activities at home!
Watch out for 'Marvellous Me' messages from your child's teachers!
It's a fantastic way to encourage, praise and celebrate successes and achievements in school!
Take the time to talk with your child about their learning.
Because .... everyone's a SUPERHERO!!
Parent Helpers Welcome!
We welcome parents into school, to help our children to improve their reading skills. If you are able to spare a morning or an afternoon, please let your child's teacher know. We are very appreciative of your additional support, and it makes a huge difference to the children's learning. Tea and coffee provided too! We would love you to come and join us!
Watch this space - exciting new displays coming soon!