Welcome back Year Two.
Let's take a closer look at our Learning Journey this week . . . .
We will be linking our learning with 'Dragons'!
Week beginning 15th January 2018
As Readers we will:-
- Read and discuss the text 'George and the Dragon'.
- Answer questions about the text to show our understanding - Copy Cat, Text Detective and Judge and Jury.
- Read a variety of information books about castles,.
- Enjoy reading to an adult.
- Participate in Guided Reading activities.
- Choose a new Library Book.
- Tap and clap our topic vocabulary.
As Writers we will:-
- Stop! Grammar Time! Look for nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs in an image from George and the Dragon.
- Use our wonderful words to crack secret codes.
- Use paraDICE to give a boring sentence some oomph!
- Use headings to help to create a simple glossary of castle definitions.
- Continue to practise our new cursive, joined font.
As Mathematicians we will:
- Continue to practise counting in 2s, 3s, 5s, 10s and start to learn to count in 4s and 6s.
- Learning how to represent division in different ways.
- Tap and clap division vocabulary.
- Write division number sentences
- Solve division word problems.
- Continue to practise our BMBT and CLIC scores.
As Artists we will:-
- Use our painting skills to create images of castles.
- Create castle collages from a variety of collage materials.
- Work collaboratively to share ideas.
As Historians we will:-
- Use a variety of sources to learn about the past.
- Discover what the different parts of a castle are called.
- Describe the function of the different parts of the castle.
- Use vocabulary such as 'long ago' 'many years ago' 'in the past' when discussing historical events.
As Progammers we will:-
- Visit the computer suite.
- Select and open programs.
- Save work.
- Use the program 'Free Mind' to create a mind map linked to our topic.
In PE we will:-
- Work with Mr Jay from Premier Sports.
- Observe and copy each other's movements
- Start to think about movements for a simple medieval dance routine.
WE HOPE YOU'LL ENJOY DISCUSSING ALL THESE NEW ACTIVITIES WITH YOUR CHILDREN.
LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL TERM IN YEAR TWO! YOU ARE AMAZING!!
We will be organising sessions throughout the year when you can come and share your child's learning journey.
Watch this space, and check Newsletters for more information to follow!!
Don't forget to keep using the 'sentence stems', when sharing books with your children.
It's a great way to extend your child's thinking, while also developing their reading and comprehension skills.
Click on the link below for a copy of our 'sentence stems'! Happy reading!!!
Don't forget to read for 5 minutes, 5 times a week!
Your Reading Challenge Slip must be returned on MONDAY MORNING so the 'scores on the doors' can be collated!
Come on Year 2 ! A KS1 class has never topped the leaderboard!
We need 75% of our classes to read to meet Mrs Ashford's challenge.
Class Prizes available too!
Let's all try and improve our 'scores on the doors' each week.
We challenge Year Two to top the chart next week!
We will be following the Inspire Maths Scheme. We will be looking at coordinates on London maps, and creating our own maps with coordinates. We will be looking at direction and movement, and using a Roamer to plan a route around London. We will be investigating capacity and measuring using different materials. We will also be measuring distance. We will be looking at time; creating bus and train timetables using o’clock, half past, quarter to and quarter past. As part of our ‘Big Maths’ scheme, children will also be taking part in ‘Beat That!’ tests every week to consolidate their Learn-It knowledge. As well as this we will continue to work on our addition and subtraction skills, and begin to look at some of the times tables as well.
Do you know your Learn Its - click below to find out!
We will continue to follow our Inspire Maths Scheme and working on calculations including multiplying and dividing. We will also be working with coordinates on a map, exploring measuring using different types of equipment, using 3D shapes for castle modelling and looking at the different types of shapes we find in castles. We will also be learning jigsaw numbers on shields and data-handling as well.
Please help your child to continue to learn the addition and subtraction ‘Learn-Its’ for this term and their Times Tables. Don't forget to keep practising the number facts in your child's Number Pouch too!
We will continue to follow the Inspire Maths Scheme, looking at addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in real life scenarios and representing work with pictures, numbers and symbols. We will investigate data-handling, collect data and record it in simple lists, pictograms, graphs and charts. We will investigate 2d and 3d shapes and their properties. We will also look at time - days of the week, and months of the years. Please help your child to continue to learn the addition and subtraction ‘Learn-Its’ for this term. Keep practising your Number Pouches too!
Do you know your Term 3 Learn Its?
Click on the link below to find out!
Want to practise the Big Maths, Beat That Tests? Why not click below?
Want to beat your CLIC score? Click below for CLIC tests!
Lots of Maths games to make learning fun! Click on the websites below!
Autumn Term Topic - London Calling!
What will we be learning? Click below to find out!
Spring Term Topic - Medieval Mayhem!
Click on the link below to find out what we will be learning!
Become a 'Castle Expert' - try the link below!
Summer Term - The Enchanted Wood
Click below to find out more!
Why not visit the website below. Lots of exciting cross-curricular challenges!
Thank you for bringing your Brilliant Beginning Projects into school on Thursday 4th January! We were so impressed with all your learning. Our new Working Walls are taking shape!
Year 2 - Fabulous Finisher - Friday 15th December
Thank you to all of you who came along to celebrate all your child's wonderful achievements throughout the term. We hope you enjoyed sharing your child's work and taking a closer look at all the fantastic displays in the classroom and activity area. We can't wait to show you how hard your child has worked this term!
Great Fire of London Day - Thursday 23rd November
What a great success this was! We had a wonderful day and thoroughly enjoyed 'travelling back in time' to 1666. The children enjoyed participating in drama and role play activities, freeze-framing key events from the recount, baking in Thomas Farynor's Bakery, being 'eye-witnesses', using images as sources of evidence to learn about the past, and making a paper bag and label for their bread roll. Amazing work Year Two! We are all great Historians now!
Many thanks for your continued support. Mrs Lee, Miss Howe and Mrs Allen
Year Two - Learning Together - We love Spellings!
Thank you for coming along to our Spelling Learning Together on Friday 13th October. It was great to see so many of you supporting your children and practising all the different ways that you can help your child to practise the 'common exception words' at home.
We hope you enjoy trying out all the exciting activities at home!
Watch out for 'Marvellous Me' messages from your child's teachers!
It's a fantastic way to encourage, praise and celebrate successes and achievements in school!
Take the time to talk with your child about their learning.
Because .... everyone's a SUPERHERO!!
Parent Helpers Welcome!
We welcome parents into school, to help our children to improve their reading skills. If you are able to spare a morning or an afternoon, please let your child's teacher know. We are very appreciative of your additional support, and it makes a huge difference to the children's learning. Tea and coffee provided too! We would love you to come and join us!
Watch this space - exciting new displays coming soon!